Thursday, October 18, 2012

Coming From Contribution


Often, my greatest joy as a ballroom dance instructor and choreographer is found in the contribution I make to others through training for special events.  I am earnestly dedicated to training others and experience a deep enthusiasm for their growth.

A couple of weeks ago I participated in a charity event modeled after the popular TV show ‘Dancing with the Stars.’  This was the second time I’ve danced in this particular gala with local celebrities benefiting the Lake Travis Community Library. I also performed in the Austin event last year which raised funds for the Center for Child Protection. For these events, my celebrity dance partner and I select a song, which reflects her choice in music then, I choreograph a dance routine that lasts roughly two minutes.

I enjoy this from beginning to end! Starting with teaching the basic rhythm to a non-dancer celebrity, to the final performance that showcases all she has mastered.

It’s an exhilarating experience for me to perform a routine with someone I’ve trained!  Together, our two minutes in the spotlight, represent many hours of hard work, dedication, and love for dance.

I also very much enjoy choreographing and instructing a couple who have partnered together for a dance recital, showcase, or even their wedding dance.

I recently uncovered a video that I forgot existed in my computer files. It features a young couple I coached performing a West Coast Swing. She was one of my top competitive students and he was an upcoming and talented new dancer. Watching it again, after all this time, I couldn’t help but reflect on the pride I was feeling to once again witness a wonderful moment in dance. It was a culmination of skills and artistic display being demonstrated, to which I made a contribution.

I experience a true sense of accomplishment every time I view my work in both professionals and amateur performers.

To watch dance skills unfold in others, knowing that I have forever been a part of their growth, is something that reminds me of how I am able benefit not only the dance industry, but also to the world community.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment